Thursday, January 22, 2009

Feldenkraiss Class

So, those of you who know me will be amazed to hear that I am taking an exercise class at the college. Yes, exercise. But it is the most gentle and laid-back of exercises I have ever experienced, performed in a darkened room, lying on your back for the most part, and all designed to enhance one's awareness of body posture and movement, through gentle adjustment of position and awareness of breathing. Mike and I are both going to do it -- the scar tissue and rearrangement (and removal) of muscles, bones and organs from our various surgeries have left us less than wonderfully well, so we know this effort to enhance and use what balance and strength we have left will be beneficial.

The Feldenkraiss method was developed as a way to rehabilitate and strengthen the body...and I hope that its practice will bring Mike and me the benefit of easier movement with lots less pain...which will mean more peace in my life. Yeah, I managed to bring the subject back to peace! We all need more, and deserve more, peace in our lives. Lying in class, "listening" to my body as I moved it, controlling my breathing and quieting my thoughts, brought me closer to that goal. It can't be a bad thing to make time in your life to lie down, breathe deep and be glad you is -- and I'm glad YOU is, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment